Sunday 13 December 2009

Island Peak Memoirs

Memoirs of Island Peak Expedition and Everest Base Camp Trek

Sunday 19th October – Lukla (2,830m) to Phakding (2,650m)

Clear skies and great views from my friend Steve’s place in outer Kathmandu. It’s the first day he’s been able to see the Himalayas, he remarks, as we look out his kitchen window towards the mighty range. Looks like I got lucky as the Lukla flight can be plagued with bad weather thus causing delays and postponements – all part of the adventure I guess! It would be great to get this flight done and dusted as its reputation precedes itself i.e. landing on a tiny uphill runway that only stretches a short 100m up the hillside. My luck continues; after checking in I am somehow get on a flight leaving 7.20am rather than the scheduled 7.45am flight…different airline, which is a bit odd but hey I’m definitely not complaining and we’re all going the same place! I am shoved towards the plane having to take my whole hiking pack on as hand luggage but I bundle it in and we’re off! Surrounded by Japanese with their cameras clicking away, the views are surreal – finally I was winging my way up to the start of my journey and would get on the infamous Everest Highway! We approach the landing and although it’s a little daunting, we touchdown and ease up the slope turning in towards the main (and only) airport building in Lukla. I was on my way hiking on the famous Everest Trek to Phakding where I stayed at the “Namaste Lodge”. I was feeling under the weather with a cold so decided to cruise these next few days and try and get better before getting to higher altitude! I hammered the garlic/chili soup and lemon & ginger teas – hopefully I’ll be better in a few days!

www.sunstoneadventures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment