Tuesday 15 December 2009

Island Peak Memoirs III

Wednesday 22nd October – Namche Bazaar (3,440m) Acclimatisation Day

An early start as I’m feeling better, tea and I wander up around the gompa above my guesthouse. Porridge and off to a great viewpoint and finally the stunning views of the big bopper – Mount Everest - wow! The big black mass of Everest Pokes out in its full glory backed by a deep blue sky with its classic white plume, jet streaming off into the distance! I’m really here! Superb views also of Lhotse, Nuptse, Ama Dablam & Thamserku (also a first ascent for Sir Edmund Hillary of NZ). I don’t bother with the hike to Everest Hotel (apparently tea on the balcony is very convivial) but head back to the bakery instead for Cappuccino (not bad but not Italy), garlic soup & bread and postcard writing in the beautiful sunshine. The weather really is sublime in this settled spring period – just the best! I treat myself to a full head shave from the barber which is precise and luxurious;up to the normal high standard. Although you do pay a premium at this altitude but it’s all worth it! A few emails, banking and some business to attend to (URL renewal on one of my websites) and I’m feeling organised and looking like a rock star! Lunchtime is calling – Pizza?

www.sunstoneadventures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment